Jason Fitterer provides clients with extensive experience in patent infringement and complex commercial litigation. In his five years as an associate at Kirkland & Ellis, Jason represented clients in patent infringement cases involving a variety of technology areas and industries including medical equipment, wireless communications technology, protective and waterproof smartphone cases, Internet real estate searching, advertising and databases, industrial fans, home appliances, and semiconductors. Jason has also represented clients in cases involving contract disputes, ERISA litigation, government and internal investigations, environmental litigation, deepwater drilling equipment, and property valuation.
Jason has experience in several phases of patent infringement and complex commercial litigation, including pre-filing investigations, fact and expert discovery, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, claim construction, infringement and invalidity analysis, summary judgment, and pre-trial preparation, in both state and federal courts and before the United States International Trade Commission.
In addition to his litigation experience, Jason has advised clients’ senior management and in-house counsel regarding regulatory compliance, data privacy, manufacturing, and business strategy issues. He has counseled clients regarding current and future patent portfolio strategies and intellectual property best practices.
Additionally, Jason has been recognized for his commitment to an active pro bono practice, and has represented clients in copyright, trademark, immigration, and domestic violence matters, as well as provided legal research and counsel in the areas of anti-trafficking, asylum, adoption, patients’ rights, animal protection, and legislative reform.
- Contract Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
Select Litigation and Counseling
- Privacy Law, Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Data Breaches
Labor and Employment
- ERISA and Employment Benefits Litigation
- Internal Investigations
- Single and Multiple Plaintiff Employment Litigation
- Patent Litigation
Cross Discipline Practices
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation
- Trials, Arbitrations and Administrative Hearings
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 2012 (cum laude)
- Northwestern Journal of Technology & Intellectual Property, Associate Editor
- Arlyn Miner Book Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S. (Industrial Engineering), 2007 (with High Honors)
- Minor in Technology & Management
- Senior 100 Honorary
- Harrison Law LLC
- - Litigation Associate, May 2018 to present
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- - Intellectual Property Litigation Associate, 2012 - 2017
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General, 2012
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of California, 2013
- Illinois, 2012