Rachel B. Niewoehner
Rachel Niewoehner brings over 19 years of experience with a preeminent international law firm representing parties in a diverse range of litigation matters at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal court. She has extensive experience in inter-company contract disputes and class actions, including M&A, federal securities, consumer fraud, ERISA, and TCPA matters. She also has experience in real estate litigation, trustee fiduciary duty claims, and corporate governance disputes.
In the consumer fraud class action area, Rachel has represented defendants in a variety of industries – including banking, telecommunications and retail sales – in cases alleging fraud, breach of contract, violations of state deceptive practices statutes and violations of other state and federal statutes.
Rachel's M&A litigation experience includes representing acquiring and target corporations and their boards of directors in class actions filed in state and federal courts challenging the terms of and disclosures regarding proposed and closed transactions.
Rachel has also represented individuals and companies in both class actions and individual lawsuits brought under Sections 10(b), 14(a) and 20 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and under Sections 11, 12 and 15 of the Securities Act of 1933.
Since the 2014 edition, Rachel has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation and was named a BTI Client Service All-Star for 2017.
- Business Tort Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Director and Officer Liability and Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Consumer Fraud Litigation
Select Litigation and Counseling
- Trust and Estates Litigation
Labor and Employment
- ERISA and Employment Benefits Litigation
Cross Discipline Practices
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation
- Trials, Arbitrations and Administrative Hearings
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1997 (magna cum laude)
- University of Michigan, A.B., 1993 (with high honors, with highest distinction, Phi Beta Kappa)
- Harrison Law LLC
– Senior Litigator, January 2017 to present
- Sidley Austin, LLP, 1997 - 2016
– Partner, 2005 - 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois, General, 1999
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of Illinois, 2001
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Wisconsin, 2010
- Illinois, 1997